19 October 2012

End of a successful partnership

Yesterday's news that Mark Cavendish was moving to Omega Pharma Quickstep, led me and other cycling fans straight away to search for news of Bernie Eisel. For the past six seasons since 2007 the two have been inextricably linked Eisel being often the last man to lead out the most successful sprinter in Tour de France history on one of the greatest winners of all time.

But the news today comes that the lead out man who moved with Cav from the defunct HTC-Highroad squad at teh end of last season isn't moving with the man he has assisted not just in the lead out but also over the tough mountains he has to cross in order the earn the points jersey at the end of a Grand Tour.

The Austrian said:


"I'm delighted to have extended my contract. Although I haven't had a win this season, I've had a really enjoyable first year with the team and have been able to contribute to some historic performances.


"I've loved taking on a senior role in the squad. Having the chance to advise the younger guys is something I've really enjoyed doing, and want to continue doing that over the next three years.


"The fact that Mark Cavendish is leaving us made this one of the toughest decisions of my life, and I wouldn’t have stayed if I hadn't felt absolutely at home here.


"Mark and I have ridden together since 2007 and he was my only room mate during most of that time. I haven't just looked after him on the bike, I also regard him as a brother, so it will be strange competing against him in the future."


No comments:

Post a Comment